Frequently asked questions
- General questions
- Shipping your pets
- Customs clearing
- South African imports regulations
- Planning your move
- Packing tips
- What services do you provide?
We ship personal effects, commercial cargo and household goods in any size consignment, from full container loads right down to one box.
- Can I use my own boxes, suitcases, trunks etc?
It is possible to use your own packaging, but please ensure that your packing methos is strong enough to sustain the weight of your contents.
All packages must be labelled with the correct contact details and address. Should you lock your suitcases please ensure that you send the keys along, as in the event of a customs inspection the locks will be broken if no keys are available.
Beware of volumetric weight, please see below.
- How do I calculate volumetric weight?
The volumetric formula is: (LxWxH) / 6000 = ?
Length: 40 cms (L)
Width: 50 cms (W)
Height: 60 cms (H)
(40x50x60) / 6000 = 20.00 Kg (This is the accepted international volume calculation and cannot be amended)
You will be charged on the greater weight being either actual weight or volumetric weight.
- Does Personal Effects Logistics provide boxes?
Boxes including bubble wrap and tape can be provided if required. We will require a non-refundable deposit which will be deducted off your final invoice if packaging and boxes are to be supplied.
- Air vs sea freight - which is best?
Your method of shipping will largely depend on the size of your consignment, as well as the urgency of the shipment. If your shipment is under 100kg, it is usually advisable and sometimes more cost effective to ship it via air freight. Despite this, it is always advisable to contact us and discuss the better option for your particular shipment.
- Can Personal Effects Logistics collect boxes from my home
Yes we do collections throughout South Africa.
- Can Personal Effects Logistics collect boxes from one address and then another?
Yes, although there might be an additional charge for picking up boxes from different addresses.
- How big are the boxes that Personal Effects Logistics provide?
45x45x50 cm. These boxes are double walled for durability.
- What is the maximum weight per box?
The maximum weight that we recommend per parcel is 30kg. Please ensure that your boxes are robust enough to handle the extra weight if you should pack more than 30kg.
- What does door to port mean?
Door to port means that we will only send your boxes from your door to the destination port. The recipient will be responsible for the payment of local port handling charges, customs clearance charges through the Customs authority and transportation of goods to the house.
- What does door to door mean?
Door to door means that your cargo will be collected at your house, and shipped to the final destination address.
The only applicable charges at the destination address could be storage and customs examinations if applicable.
- Can I do my own customs clearing?
Yes you can do your own customs clearance. The procedure for this varies slightly from country to country, and as an alternative you can use the services of freight forwarding agents or customs brokers to clear the goods on your behalf. The transportation of the goods from the port to their destination can also be arranged through them, although additional destination charges will be applicable if it was originally sent on a door to port basis.
- What kind of goods are prohibited?
Some goods that cannot be sent through air freight can be sent through sea freight if it has been packed correctly. If you need any information in this regard, please do not hesitate to contact us.
The following is a list of goods which you cannot send through air freight, but might be able to send through sea freight:
- Fireworks, ammunition, firearms, explosives
- Cylinders of compressed air, oxygen, petroleum gas or any type of aerosol cans.
- Camping stove, cigarette / pipe lighters or cigarette lighter refills.
- Nail polish, colognes, perfumes, paint or paint thinners.
- Matches or Batteries.
- Dry ice, specimens or samples.
- Detergents, bleaches, drain or oven cleaners.
- Fibre glass repair kits, adhesives and puncture repair kits.
- Alcohol or medicine containing alcohol.
- Any type of chemical / pesticide / herbicides etc.
- Machinery that has internal combustion engines that might have contained petrol.
- Does Personal Effects Logistics provide insurance?
Yes. If you require insurance, please contact us in order to enquire.
- When will my shipment depart?
Your shipment will depart as soon as all payment and documentation has been received.
- How do I pay?
Either Cash Deposits or EFT Transfers are accepted.
Shipments paid by cheque will only be dispatched once money has cleared.
- How ho I get a quote?
Our quotes are estimates based on the understanding of the information you have provided to us, and are valid for 14 days. Only once your cargo has been collected, measured, weighed and the packaging has been checked for transportation purposes, can we give a firm quote.
Also please note that if you do get a better quote, we will do our best to beat it.